Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Featured Freshman Legislator: Renee Schulte

Name: Renee Schulte

District: 37 NE Cedar Rapids

Committee assignments
Human Resources, Judiciary, Education, State Government, Human Services budget sub

Hometown and current town
Born Centrailia, IL Raised in Danville, IL live in Cedar Rapids Iowa

Your family
My husband Brent and chow chow Rio (former foster parent of teen girls)

Education and Cyclone or Hawkeye affiliation Cyclone
Husband attended ISU

Brief description of any military experience
Husband was Air Force making me an Air Force wife

Occupation when not in session
Adjunct professor of psychology at Mt Mercy College

Why you ran for office?
My passion is working with children and families. While working as a therapist, I became aware of policy issues that needed to be addressed at the state level in order to strengthen families in Iowa. Economic Development is the biggest thing we can do in Iowa to strengthen our families. Second, families need to keep the money they make in order to provide for their family. Third, I believe that before policy decisions are made, government officials should consider the full effect. Sometimes well meaning people make laws that have unintended consequences on constituents. Being a voice for children and families in Iowa is my reason for running for office.

What do you think are the three most important things the General Assembly needs to accomplish this session, and describe each briefly
1) Flood recovery- As a citizen of Cedar Rapids, I have labored with my community since the flood in June working to rebuild our community. Now that we did not have a special session to address this issue, we need to do everything in our power to provide resources as soon as possible.
2) Fiscal responsibility- We face a large spending gap/deficit in the current 2009 budget and in the projected FY 2010 and FY 2011 budget. We need to be honest and transparent in the process so Iowan’s can understand the gravity of the situation.
3) Shrinking government- We need to look for ways to streamline and make government more efficient. We also need to look at the 2600 new full time employees added to state government in the past two years to determine if they are necessary in this current fiscal climate.

What has been your impression of the legislature thus far?
I am honored to make history as a member of the 83rd General Assembly of Iowa. I am amazed every day at the beauty of the chamber in which I work. I have met the most wonderful public servants- legislators, lobbyists, capitol employees and staff-all working toward the common good.

The food you most look forward to at the Iowa State Fair
Anything on a stick

Anything else you would like readers to know about you?
I come to the state house with a unique background. As a therapist, foster parent, and professor of psychology, I am energized by the relationships with others. I am excited to be able to help my constituents. I wake up early every day, knowing that today I can make a difference. One thing I hope to accomplish as a legislator is being a positive role model for young women in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment